“Back to School” Dinner at the Caribe Hilton
Our August Dinner Meeting at the Caribe Hilton was a culinary (and amicale) success! It had to be, since it was under the direction of Executive Chef Mario Ferro, the dean of professional chefs in Puerto Rico! How often have we had truffle foam? Three new members were invited to join and we will be submitting their applications to SI soon. To see all the photos CLICK HERE.
Skål International 80th Anniversary Celebration, Paris, France
From the left: Ronald Flores (Puerto Rico), Nahid Olfati (San Francisco), Carlos Banks (Fort Lauderdale), Frank Klare (Philadelphia), David Fisher (Nairobi) and Mario Hache (Boston). They are sharing a moment in front of the Moulin Rouge in Montmartre during the Skal Anniversary celebration. Nineteen countries were represented and events included tours of the city by bus and by boat, great food (of course), plenty of champagne, and a ceremony placing wreaths on the tomb of Florimund Volckaert, founding presdient of Skal in Paris in 1934, at famous Pierre Lachaise Cemetery in the Bastille.
Smooth as Silk
The SIPR June 10 Dinner Meeting at Silk at Doubletree by Hilton was by all accounts a total success. Some 36 Skalleagues and guests enjoyed a Pan-Asian banquet topped off with a succulent serving of Peking Duck! Good wines, great food, spectacular service, gorgeous setting and fine friends—what more can we ask? We especially enjoyed having former Skalleague and President and CEO of Meet Puerto Rico (the Puerto Convention Bureau) back with us again.
President Mickey Espada’s 2014 SIPR Action Plan
• Increase Membership by up to 20 new qualified professionals
* Establish Skal as a stronger voice in the hospitality industry
* Launch Young Skal with at least five members
• Continue improving the quality of our events
* Increase the numbert of events that include our families
* Lower the cost of participation through sponsorships
* Seek added value to membership through discounts, special benefits, etc.
*Promote more participation in regional and international Skal events
and use of the Skal 18,000 menber database
* Develop a high tech website linked to the SIUSA site and that serves as a tool for education, learning and promotion
At the August Board meeting, Felix Mulero presented this new tentative schedule:
Sept. San Juan Marriott or St. Regis Bahia Beach
Oct. Meat market, El San Juan
Nov. Gran Meliá
Dec. Hacienda Carabali or Villa Flores
Jan. Cafe Calderon
Feb. San Juan Marriott or St. Regis Bahia Beach
Mar. Zafra New Location
Watch this space (and your emails) for final announcements.
Mickey has asked chair people to present the names names of their respective work teams (Total of 3-5 SKAL Members). A preliminary Plan should be submitted to the Executive Committee (Mickey Espada, Luis Carrera, Geoffrey Field and Ivan O. Puig) by Monday, June 2, 2014 for their comments, observations and recommendations. A short version of the Plan should be presented at our BOD Meeting on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 by each Committee Chair. Following a list of the New Committees with their respective Chairs, Co-Chairs and participants composition:
SKAL Committee Chair, Co-Chair, Members
1. Executive Committee: Mickey Espada, Iván O.Puig, Luis Carrera. Geoffrey Field
2. Finance & Administration: Luis Carrera, Angel Luis Marrero
3. Special Events & Venue Selection: Felix Mulero, Kenneth Cintron, Jose Daniel Diaz
4. Membership Development: Hans Roehrbein, Iván O.Puig, TBD / TBD
5. Communications, Research & Technology: Ronald Flores, Angel Luis Marrero, Robert Rodriguez, Lizette Perez, Consultant: Carlos Maldonado
6. Public & Policy Affairs: Mickey Espada, Luis Carrera, Geoffrey Field, Iván O. Puig
7. Young SKAL: Iván O. Puig, Omar Pagan, TBD / TBD
* Should start identifying two (2) possible members [1 girl / 1 boy]and should be presented at the next BOD Meeting.
(To see photo album, Click on the name of the event)
June Silk (Pending)