Smooth as Silk
The SIPR June 10 Dinner Meeting at Silk at Doubletree by Hilton was by all accounts a total success. Some 36 Skalleagues and guests enjoyed a Pan-Asian banquet topped off with a succulent serving of Peking Duck! Good wines, great food, spectacular service, gorgeous setting and fine friends—what more can we ask? We especially enjoyed having former Skalleague and President and CEO of Meet Puerto Rico (the Puerto Convention Bureau) back with us again.
Milton Segarra at Silk†addressing his Skal friends
President Mickey Espada’s 2014 SIPR Action Plan
• Increase Membership by up to 20 new qualified professionals
* Establish Skal as a stronger voice in the hospitality†industry
* Launch Young Skal with at least five members
• Continue improving the quality of our events†
* Increase the numbert of events that include our families
* Lower the cost of participation through sponsorships
* Seek added value to membership through discounts, special benefits, etc.
*Promote more†participation†in regional and†international Skal events
and use of the Skal 18,000 menber database
†*†Develop†a high tech website linked to the SIUSA site and that serves as a tool for†education, learning and promotion
Mickey has asked the events committee to determine the calendar for the year. Felix Mulero, Kenneth Cintron, Jose Daniel Diaz and Ivan Puig presented †a†tentative schedule as follows:
June- Silk Restaurant • July- La Cava at Carabali (Outing) • August - Caribe Hilton Hotel • September - Pikayo • October - Gran Melia • November - Wyndham Rio Mar • December - TBD • January - Pescaderia Atlantica • February - Ruth Chris / Morton's / BLT Texas de Brazil • March- Fern • April- TBD
Ivan explains that these are not confirmed events, but that the first two are pretty much set: July, an outing to Carabali Rainforest Park and August at the Caribe Hilton.
Watch this space (and your emails) for final†announcements.
Candidate for Membership
Ivan informed the board that candidates under consideration for membership in Skal include the†following professionals. Skalleagues should let the membership committee know if they support these candidates. To be considered they need to qualify according to Skal International rules and be recommended by two Skalleagues.
Jose Ortiz (VP Wyndham)- Danny Williams (GM Wyndham)-- Milton Segarra ( President PRCB)- Victor Suarez (Port of Authority)- Dr. Jose Santana (Owner Empresas Santana)- Yolanda Carlo (President DragonFly Adventure)- Carlos De Freitas (GM Gran Melia)- Jose GonzŠlez (Port of Mayaguez)- George Engel (Owner Caribe Playa Beach Resort and Ikebana Sushi Bars & Restaurants)- Mayra Cruz (VP Sales & Marketing SUAGM)- Pablo Torres (GM Caribe Hilton Hotel)- Luis Daniel MuŮiz (Puerto Rico Tourism Company)- Joaquin Villamil (Tourism Consultant).
Membership Development for 2014-2015 is under the chairmanship of Hans-George Roehrbein, with Ivan Puig. Two Skalleagues will be asked to join this committee.
Mickey has asked chair people to present the names names of their respective work teams (Total of 3-5 SKAL Members). †A preliminary Plan should be submitted to the Executive Committee (Mickey Espada, Luis Carrera, Geoffrey Field and Ivan O. Puig) by Monday, June 2, 2014 for their comments, observations and recommendations. †A short version of the Plan should be presented at our BOD Meeting on Wednesday, June 4, 2014 by each Committee Chair. †Following a list of the New Committees with their respective Chairs, Co-Chairs and participants composition:
SKAL Committee Chair, Co-Chair, Members
1. Executive Committee: Mickey Espada, IvŠn O.Puig, Luis Carrera. Geoffrey Field
2. Finance & Administration: Luis Carrera, Angel Luis Marrero
3. Special Events & Venue Selection: Felix Mulero, Kenneth Cintron, Jose Daniel Diaz
4. Membership Development: Hans Roehrbein, IvŠn O.Puig, TBD / TBD
5. Communications, Research & Technology: Ronald Flores, Angel Luis Marrero, Robert Rodriguez, Lizette Perez, Consultant: Carlos Maldonado
†To Redesign, Update and Maintain the www.skalpuertorico website.
To Redesign, Update and Maintain the skalclubpuertorico Facebook Page
To Explore other social media options for SIPR
In consultation with Mabudeg and Horizon Multimedia ‘s Carlos Maldonado, the committee will redesign the SIPR website is association with the new Skal International USA (SIUSA) site and the recently redesigned Skal International (SI) site. The SIPR site will focus on SIPR news, events and activities and link to SIUSA and SI news and events. It will also function in tandem with the SIUPR Facebook page and incorporate blog/comments. The target date for the redesign is August 12 (SIPR Meeting Date).
†Ronald: Supervise redesign process; post English copy, post photos
Angel Luis: Post photos and Spanish copy, update calendars
Lizette: Prepare short bios of each Skalleague to post on Members page.
Robert: Promote Facebook page, post photos, comments.
All Skalleagues: post photos, videos and comments to Facebook and Website. Mickey: Write monthly 200-word “From the President” message. † †
6. Public & Policy Affairs: Mickey Espada, Luis Carrera, Geoffrey Field, IvŠn O. Puig
7. Young SKAL: IvŠn O. Puig, Omar Pagan, TBD / TBD
* Should start identifying two (2) possible members [1 girl / 1 boy]and should be presented at the next BOD Meeting.
(To see phot album, Click on the name of the event)